Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Uh-oh

On September 24, I had an appointment with my doctor.  After a full day at work, I walked up to the appointment (it is only a 5 minute walk).  Everything in my little world was hunky dorie!  At least for a few more minutes.  When the doctor came in, he decided to check me.  Turns out that I had some major cervical changes.  I was not dilated, which was a definite plus, but he still wanted to send me to the hospital to be observed for a little while.  He was afraid that I might be having some contractions that I was not feeling.  I have been having some Braxton-Hicks for a while now, but never a whole lot.  The hospital where I am going to deliver (hopefully) is about 30 minutes away because that is where my doctor has his main privileges.  By the time we got there and they hooked me up to the monitor, I was having lots of contractions.  So, I got to see all of the different things that they try to get them stopped.  My magic solution - keep my bladder empty.  So, they had me spend the night and sent me home the next morning.  On strict bedrest.  I could only be up 5 - 10 minutes per hour so that I could go to the bathroom or get a drink if necessary.  One of the things that they did go ahead and do was give me a couple of steroid shots to help the babies' lungs develop a little faster.  That way, if I do end up delivering early, their lung will be further along in the process.  Those shots have to be given 24 hours apart from each other, so we did have to go back to the hospital the evening that I was released to get that second shot.  But since then, I have been following their orders as closely as possible!  Mike has been so wonderful through the whole thing.  He finished emptying out the nursery, moved the litterbox into the spare bathroom and has been taking care of all pets, people and housework.  What a wonderful husband I have!

No comments:

Post a Comment