Friday, September 17, 2010

We're back

Hello all!

I know that it has been a little while.  Sorry about that. 

At our doctor's office, it is policy that if you have a multiple gestation, you also have to be seen by the high risk specialist who comes over once every couple of weeks.  We started doing that a couple of weeks ago.  The first set of pictures were really not that great, so I did not bother to post them for you.  They were able to tell us that the baby on the right is approximately 2 pounds and the baby on the left is about 1 pound 13 ounces.  This is such good news!  It means that they are sharing like good little boys.  They will check the size of the babies again in a couple of weeks to make sure that they continue to grow so closely together.

Now, we are going in every other week for ultrasounds.  During all of the ultrasounds, they will be checking to make sure that a) there is plenty of amniotic fluid, b) the hearts are still pumping properly, and c) that the kidneys are functioning properly.  If all of these are still working on both babies, it is a really good indicator that everything is still going well.  Every other ultrasound (so about every 4 weeks), they will do a full ultrasound where they check for all of the above plus look at all of the other organs and measure all of the different parts to see how big the babies are.  On top of all of those ultrasounds, they also want us to go in every week, just for quick check-ups.  Hopefully, we will be able to do most of those appointments in our regular office, as it is walking distance for me and only a couple of miles for Mike to drive.  For the ultrasounds, we have to go to the main office which is about a 30 minute drive.

We have not done any new bump pictures lately, but this is one that a friend of mine took a couple of weeks ago.  All of you Facebookers might recognize it.

Now, for the part that I know that you are all waiting for!  We were able to get some better ultrasound pictures when we went in this week.  And, on top of that, I was able to sweet talk them into a couple of 3D pictures (helps when their website had incorrect information...I just used it to my advantage.)  Here you go!

This is the baby on my right.  It is a profile shot of his face.  You can see his nose just under and to the left of "AAAA".


This one is not quite as easy to see.  I am pretty sure that it is the baby on my right again.  To the left of "Nose" you can see the baby's nose (obvious, I know).  Then, to the left, you can see the faint outline of his lips and further to the left, his chin.

And here are the good ones!

These are the 3D pics of the baby on my left.  Unfortunately, Righty was not being as cooperative, so we were only able to get Lefty for the 3D shots.

In a couple of weeks, we have an appointment at the local community college.  They have a program for Sonography.  So, they offer the 3D ultrasounds for free in order to give their students practice.  I am excited to see what kind of pictures we get then!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. The 3-D ultra-sounds are wonderful. That is one of my grandsons! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a cutie :) can't wait to see them in person :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dela,

    Love the 3D pictures...wow!! You can really see the baby so much better. I never had any 3D ultrasounds done. I can relate to all the extra appts. After Sarah all my pregnancies were considered high risk (from my pre-eclampsia and low birth weight baby).

    In fact with Rebecca I had to take 2x daily heparin injections (blood thinner) as a preventative in case blood clotting in placenta was in an issue. They weren't going to be able to tell until 6 wks after I gave birth whether they were necessary (the shots/blood thinner). Turns out they weren't. Got me over my fear of needles though LOL!! I even started giving them to myself toward the end of the pg. And for my safety they said I needed them until the baby was 6 wks old. Crazy!! We go through a lot for those babies even before they are born ;)

    Well with Leah..I didn't need the shots, but alas...I was over the age of 37 so they consider you high risk due to your age...haha...even though it is the norm now to have babies at that age. The appts with the ultrasounds were fun, but it gets tiring going in so much esp the last couple months.

    I guess with bed rest now, it does get you up and out of the house (change of scenery!!)

    ReplyDelete