Anyway, they finished fixing me up and sent me back to the labor and delivery room to let the epidural wear off. Once that was worn off, the nurse promised that I would be able to go up to the NICU to see the boys. Unfortunately, my body had a different idea. Without getting into all of the gruesome details, I bled more than normal. So, after a long afternoon, having to have my epidural re-dosed with a different & stronger drug, another procedure that was excruciatingly painful (even with the really strong drugs that they gave me), my bleeding finally slowed down. Mike was so sweet during the whole thing. He was there by my side holding my hand for all of it (other than when he went with the boys to the NICU). I don't think that he realizes how much it means to me that he was bragging about me after the procedure in the afternoon. He kept saying that I was a strong person and that a lesser woman would have been screaming and cursing throughout the procedure in the afternoon (I was just crying quietly.) For the rest of the evening, every time someone went to touch my stomach, I had to brace myself using the bedrails. I felt a little like a punching bag at that point. But, since they were finally able to get my bleeding to stop, they were able to take me up to the NICU to see my boys. I had to do this on a stretcher, but that did not matter! I just started to cry as soon as I saw them!
Then, comes the saga of naming the boys. When we got to the hospital on Halloween, we asked some of the nurses if we had until the babies left the hospital to be able to name them. They said yes. So, imagine our surprise the next morning, when a woman came into the room and told us that due to their software being changed, we had to choose names by Noon or we would have to go to the Health Department to fill out the information. At first, we were both fine with that option. However, the woman from the hospital called the Health Department to find out what steps we would need to take if we did not come up with names by the deadline. Turns out that we would only have 5 days to get the names back to them. If we did not have the names at that point, the Health Department would assign each of the boys a number, then there would be a bunch of fees to get the names changed. So, with 30 minutes to spare, we came up with Jack and Miles.
On to their story, they were in the NICU for 10 days. They did not have to have any feeding tubes or oxygen! They just monitored them to make sure that they were OK. They did have to stay under the warmers for a couple of days and Jack ended up having to use the bili blanket for a few days to get his bilirubin numbers back down. But all things considered, I will take it. And they were born at pretty good weights, too! Jack was 4 pounds 11 ounces and Miles was 4 pounds 8 ounces.
Here we are on Day 20. The boys had to go back to the pediatrician's office today for a weight check. Jack is up to 5 pounds 11 ounces and Miles is up to 5 pounds 6 ounces. They are doing so well and Mike and I could not be happier!
Thank you all for the love and support that you have been sending our way. Even if we don't always get the chance to say thank you, please know that it is appreciated!
Jack Chasteen Park
Born: October 31, 2010 @ 12:51pm
Weight: 4 pounds, 11 ounces
Length: 18.5 inches
Miles Robert Park
Born: October 31, 2010 @ 1:08 pm
Weight: 4 pounds, 8 ounces
Length: 17.1 inches
Oh yay! I've been checking periodically for updates...I know you have your hands MORE than full! But, we all appreciate the updates :) We still need to talk in person - so I can hear the whole delivery story...not sure if I should do it before or after mine... I can't believe that you have been a mommy for 23 days already...and I'm going to be one any day now! So exciting! I pray that my delivery goes as smoothly as yours - minus the 'after delivery' stuff! :P But you are a champ and I'm glad that Mike 'praised' you for it! Carrying, two perfect little ones, surviving bedrest for 5+ weeks, and then your labor/post birth fiasco - you deserve a world of praise! You guys are gonna be great parents :) Keep the updates and pictures coming! Much love!
ReplyDeleteVicki, George, and 'Lil G'
Dela...just discovered this update! So glad you wrote out your birth story. It's amazing that even though there is so much we think we'd never forget, time does diminish some of the details. It's good to get it all written out so you can relive it periodically. Like their 3rd birthday or 5th birthday etc. I know at this point the 1st birthday seems a lifetime away, but yet it is really just around the corner. Not wishing it away for you, but you both will be amazed at how quickly this year will pass. There are days you can't imagine you'll ever get a 6 hour stretch of sleep again or that they will ever be a year old...but it's funny how life works...it will be here before you know it.
ReplyDeleteThanks again for our visit. I know the timing ending up being bad considering you weren't feeling well that day, but we appreciate your hospitality...and I really loved that I got to feed my nephew Jack!! It meant a lot to me!
We love you guys and are here if you need anything!!! Seriously call anytime. xoxoxo